Module 4: Community Development Theory and Practice
This module seeks to provide a critical understanding of the main themes and developments that characterise community development at the beginning of the twenty-first century and key factors which influence the practice of Community work. The key principles of community development theory and its application to various types of community setting (both urban and rural) are explored. This module is designed to also provide participants with the practical skills and training necessary to enable them to engage effectively in community development. A special emphasis is placed on case study material drawn from a range of settings and experience of practical work in community development.
- Demonstrate understanding of the concepts and principles of community development
- Place community development in a historical context – nationally and internationally
- Critically assess the different approaches to community development
- Assess the factors that mitigate against community development
- Demonstrate understanding of the theory and practice of community development and in-depth knowledge of best practice from other community development projects